View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 - 10:53 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

There will probably be pricing changes to TigerLAN 12.
Well, there is and there isn't.
It will still be $10 to game plus $10 to compete.
However, no more "Ladies game for free."

It seems the "Ladies game for free" part could be determined discrimination and since AUCGC isn't a private organization we can't do that sort of thing.

Ack, Dr. Knight, and I will be shooting emails back and forth on the topic over the next few days.

A Task for You
The original purpose of the "ladies game for free" pricing model was to help diversify gaming community participation. "Free" gets heads in the door, a head in the door is more likely to come back through the door again or go out and participate in other ways. Community participation in gaming increases the usefulness (and fun) of AUCGC. Blah blah blah, you get the idea. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the cultural background of the gaming community is quite diverse, the lacking component is the gender/sex diversity. That's not to say that females don't game, just that the gaming community is predominately male. The closer a community's diversity make-up is to that of the world as a whole, the more rounded and stronger the community becomes. And why do we want the gaming community to become stronger and rounded? Because we love games.

Anyway, we need suggestions on ways to improve the community's diversity through TigerLAN. (Note that there is a correlation between the community and the club, but TigerLAN is not about club, it is about community.)

General suggestions to improve TigerLAN attendance would also be welcomed.

So far we have these ideas:
Boys vs Girls team competition
New Club members game for free

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
CDplayaOffline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 05:41 PM

"Ladies game for free" isn't discriminatory at all. All we are doing is helping to integrate the gaming community. There is nothing wrong for giving incentives to a group of people that most assume would never show up in the first place. (i.e. normally I don't attend campus politics meetings, but they were giving away free pizza one day so...) We know that there are enough male gamers that would pay to play, but there was at least one female at the last TigerLAN that only showed up because she could play for free. On a side note, I would only call discrimination if females get to compete for free, but as far as I know they don't.

AckOffline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 06:32 PM

In the past, females were allowed entry to TigerLAN for free, though they still had to pay to compete. And xero is right, the reasons we did this were to promote females learning about gaming. Remember, the purpose of the club has always been to promote gaming amongst the community, either by introducing the concept of gaming to people, teaching about various types of games and genres out there, or by helping a group of people come together so that they have friends they can play games with. For years, the gaming community has been comprised of younger males, though recent trends state otherwise.

According to the ESA, currently 69% of all Americans play games, the average age of which is 33 years old. 38% of all those gamers happen to be female. When going further in depth, the numbers become closer. An average female gamer plays games 7.4 hours a week, whereas an average male plays 7.6 hours. Women over the age of 18 form a higher percentage of the gaming community than boys age 17 and younger...the numbers form a growing trend.

Since the policy has been questioned, it would seem now is a good time to update with the times. Females will no longer be allowed in for free, because this policy has been seen as possibly discriminatory towards men. For the records, we've never received an official complaint, but that does not mean that the policy isn't outdated. Instead, we are debating other possible benefits for gamers, though no longer based on gender. Please feel free to post any ideas you may have on how to make TigerLAN better for everyone involved, and we look forward to your ideas.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 08:19 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

I'll file a complaint then.

I AM TEH BEAN DESCRAMANITED AT ZMG!

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 01:59 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

You deserve it kurt. j/k

Let's try to keep it toward real posts in this one ;oP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
CoyoteOffline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 07:08 AM

i dunno.. this really punishes the males... I mean face it, girls who will put up with us are hard to come by...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
PhukFaceOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: TigerLAN 12 Pricing Model Changes  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 02:57 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Coyote wrote:
girls who will put up with us are hard to come by...

i disagree...

CoyoteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Face... come on... you have got to be the poster boy for this comment! You have to have the most understanding woman on the face of this earth. It boggles my mind.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
PhukFaceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 03:55 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

whos to say she really exists?

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2007 - 03:54 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember that comment about keeping this thread on topic?

RebirthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2007 - 05:20 AM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

o,

Last edited by Rebirth on Feb 06, 2007 - 12:08 AM; edited 1 time in total

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: woohoo! first female to comment!  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2007 - 06:43 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, the bars and clubs use the idea that if girls show up there will be guys, and guys and girls buying lots of drinks for various reasons. It really has nothing to do with the bars helping people hook up. It's about money, exploiting dating trends. But to most people it looks like dating help. That wasn't really our idea, though we knew how it could look like that if we weren't careful. We struggled with a way to phrase it so that it didn't seem like a "Ladies night." "Ladies play for free" was the best we could do and still be PC but it still seems like "Ladies' night". Scrapping it altogether I think is just going to be a good idea.

From our talks it seems the best course of action for diversity for us is to completely ignore gender. (I could rant why (and have) but I'll save it for another time.) While it makes perfect sense on one hand it also means we have to be conscious not to advertise with the stereotypical male gamer advertisements (read: large breasts and double entendres). Club is a part of the community and I think will naturally reflect that community as it grows. With that in mind it seems that we are just going to focus on base membership.

We've had ideas thrown around about existing members benefits to TigerLAN and possibly a work-for-play discount. We should probably actually wrap those email discussions up; I would guess that Dr. Knight is tired of reading general membership ideas as opposed to the topic he started. That of course means the details get thrown into this thread as needed...

RebirthOffline
Post subject: just so you know...  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2007 - 08:21 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

Just so it's clear, when I said "...I interpreted..."

I meant I was coming from a view that the marketing was immoral, outdated, and discriminatory. Immoral- promising sex, etc.; outdated- unoriginal and insulting to some; discriminatory- implying the bars are male-oriented thus excluding privileges for the majority gender.

Also, I was trying to come from a viewpoint of females who do not consider the marketing to be simple marketing, but rather intending exactly what the marketing implies- all the three above.

I guess the reason I'm replying to this is because I didn't see how there could be a view saying, "well, that's not the intent," because concerning the problem I am talking about, considering the true intent of the marketing while getting past the stigma attached is nigh impossible for some people to do. See how many guys complain about the double standard? They are not considering anything beyond what they think is fair. I just felt like pointing that out.

CoyoteOffline
Post subject: RE: just so you know...  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Well do all the club members get grandfather'd in for a tigerlan since we never got to play for free? I help setup and still have to pay.

Also, who's to say that things like what we have done is WHY the gaming community is becoming more diverse? I posted it as a joke, but it is true. The fact that girls are encouraged to be there encourages guys to be there. It did work. (Ashley is considering not going now, and I can't blame her.) LAN tournaments typically carry a hardcore gamer demograph, one that any sane person would scoff at, especially females. However being exposed to some of the hardest levels of gaming makes the fringe look not so bad. To boot, if guys had to choose between two identical tigerlans, one where girls played free, and one where they didn't, the girls play free would win out. Marketing is nature, wildlife market themselves all the time for mating and power.

I guess I just don't see the problem in this other than political correctness. When it comes down to it, it encourages females to participate and helps bring in males utilizing a basic principle of man, and don't think for a second that it wouldn't work the same way around with an event that primarily attracts females.

I also have to make an argument for if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who has complained? Didn't this change cause more problems?

P.S. I would like to see the statistics off of last years tigerlan, because last time I check "Diversity" according to every idealist on the planet is said to be a perfect balance. Last time I looked around a tigerlan there definetely weren't as many females as males, meaning by definition that the field isn't yet "diversified".

GeistOffline
Post subject: RE: just so you know...  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2007 - 09:43 PM
no0b
no0b

Last time I checked 38% of the people there were not females. The definition of a gamer are two different things between guys and girls. Girls typically define themselves as a gamer if they play games, no matter how much or little they played or what they played. I just play nintendo games everyonce in a while and I considered myself a gamer until I saw how much U.G. played, AND THEN I saw how much GAMERS played. Now I don't think I am considered a gamer.

Also, I wouldn't have gone to the last tigerlan if I had to pay. I don't really know if I am going to go this year, because I don't go for the same reasons as the majority. I don't go to compete, I just go to hang out and play small games on my laptop. If I have to pay $10 to do that I would rather just sit in my own room and do the same thing. I don't take offense to the "ladies game for free". I get to game for free and it brings more guys in to game and pay.

D.I.E.Offline
Post subject: RE: just so you know...  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 - 03:23 AM

If any of the other females (that come infrequently) could post their opinion as well we might be able to find a better solution than our previous slogan. The new idea of all New Members play for free is a good idea except for the possibility of more than once per person.

RebirthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 - 08:05 AM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

p.

Last edited by Rebirth on Feb 06, 2007 - 12:08 AM; edited 1 time in total

AckOffline
Post subject: RE: how?  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well, if you really want to know, it was Dr. Knight who brought it to our attention. He's the club's faculty adviser.

And instead of new members playing for free, we think it should instead be full members, as in members who have payed all their club dues. It might actually make you guys pay dues, because frankly, most of you don't. Sure, TigerLAN may take a small hit with the funding, but if we do better with our advertising, perhaps we can make up for the losses.

And as a matter of fact, even I don't get into TigerLAN for free, and I run the bloody thing. Hell, I don't let xero in without paying, and he founded it.

PhukFaceOffline
Post subject: RE: how?  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 - 03:23 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

i think we should have a senior citizen discount...

RugerMK1Offline
Post subject: RE: how?  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2007 - 05:14 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

I'd prefer a DDR master discount for individuals such as myself. Think about it!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic