View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which one do you want?
Halo 2
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Guilty Gear
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Madden NFL 06
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
James Bond: Agent Under Fire
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
XIII
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 - 02:51 PM

But the point of holding competitions is not to entice people to come - the overall veneer of TL is a gaming 'forum,' if you will, where we all get together and have a giant LAN party. The point of the competitions is a) sponsorship and b) giving away the stuffs the sponsors donate to make sure that it's a recognized event and therefore able to be in Foy and all that good stuff. I know now that Halo 2 will be played at Tigerlan. Whether or not it's played as an 'official TigerLAN competition,' well, that's up for grabs. Until tomorrow night that is.

Reply with quote Back to top
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 - 01:23 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't need sponsors for Foy. Just need to be a student club for that.

Sponsors are for prizes, prizes are for getting people in the door, competitions are to get people in the door, and while people are in the door we sneak new games into their life to expand their horizons and promote gaming in general. The benefit to the sponsors is they get to advertise in a very directed, targetted, and intimate venue which pushes their sales up. When their sales go up they do more research on new products, gamers get the benefit of these new products. The new products make new games possible, which we want to let gamers know about. It's the circle of life for the gaming community.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
greyOffline
22 Post subject: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2006 - 06:09 PM
no0b
no0b

How do you vote on the game that will be played? I just moved here and I plan on coming out to the lan party on friday.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2006 - 01:54 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

The polls are for TigerLAN and have already closed. TigerLAN is a once a semester public lan party that will be 30 Sept.

The "lan party on friday" is just the normal weekly meeting, no competitions there, usually.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2006 - 02:12 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

jokeyxero wrote:
...The "lan party on friday" is just the normal weekly meeting, no competitions there, usually.

*edited by me to try and better comply with club general policy...

Last edited by kurtmax_0 on Aug 22, 2006 - 02:43 PM; edited 1 time in total

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2006 - 11:43 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

cute

Phoenix2005Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2006 - 04:59 PM

So will Halo 2 still be played "competitively" now that Guilty Gear was picked as the "official" game? Just curious...

http://www.caleague.com
CAL|Lunceford
Halo 2 Game Manager
Gears of War Asst. Game Manager
Halo 2 Vista Game Manager (when it comes out)

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2006 - 01:59 PM

OK, there isn't an 'official' Xbox game at TigerLAN... it's just we'll be playing Guilty Gear as the 'official' Xbox competition for prizes. I'm sure many people will be using Xboxes to play Halo / Halo 2 competitively a good majority of the event.

Phoenix2005Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 22, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Oh well, I got tickets to Alabama vs. Florida game in Gainesville, so I probably won't come this semester seeing as the only thing I'm good at is Halo and I suck at all other games.

Maybe I'll come next semester...

http://www.caleague.com
CAL|Lunceford
Halo 2 Game Manager
Gears of War Asst. Game Manager
Halo 2 Vista Game Manager (when it comes out)

Dark_ChickOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 - 01:55 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

I'm glad we're having DDR! And UT2004!!!! Though most of you guys are like....Masters of the DDR. Can I bring my 'soft' pad to play on, not during the tournament, but just to play whenever? I had a really hard time using those Metal pads.....or hard pads...whatever.

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 - 02:56 AM

Dark_Chick: Yes, anyone may bring any form of controller or hardware they desire for free play.

Phoenix: The point of TigerLAN is to expose people to new games; i.e., Halo is not the only game in the world; other people besides you will suck at all other games; and if you don't want to hang out with us because we're not gonna play Halo competitively this time around you can say so in as many words and I promise you we won't freak.

Dark_ChickOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2006 - 12:46 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

cool....thanks

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2006 - 01:00 AM

Can I bring an Oonga-Ba Oonga-Ba cab? You said any form...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
trsruinerOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: voting on the game  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2006 - 11:43 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

lordbyronIII wrote:
Dark_Chick: Yes, anyone may bring any form of controller or hardware they desire for free play.

Phoenix: The point of TigerLAN is to expose people to new games; i.e., Halo is not the only game in the world; other people besides you will suck at all other games; and if you don't want to hang out with us because we're not gonna play Halo competitively this time around you can say so in as many words and I promise you we won't freak.

I think it should be "games other people probably don't play" games because all the games listed are pretty old.

also this poll thing is pretty bad. how many people voted? and how many people normally participate? and voting is usually done before fliers are out, so no one but board members that frequent the board get to vote.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 - 04:52 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

The reason older games are chosen for competitions is they normally have the bugs worked out and the game balance is normally better...

DeathOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 - 02:28 AM
no0b
no0b

Last time maybe a hundred people were there on Saturday....on Sunday, about 50 or less. It was cool....

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 - 02:59 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

An email is sent out about the polls to all members of the site and all members of the mailing list.
If you don't care about TigerLAN enough to join the website to troll the forums or to check the website every so often, then I guess you don't care enough to participate in the voting process.

Public LAN parties are a giant series of catch 22's btw. For starters, you can't get sponsors without attendees, you can't get attendees without sponors. You can't make flyers that work without sponsors, you can't get attenedees without flyers, you can't announce games in flyers without the games being known, you can't decide on games without attendees to vote, you can't get attendees without flyers. Etc etc etc.

Like all parties, the success is based on potential (hype). If it is sold well then it should do well. Then it has to actually do well to sell well again, sorta.

You can cut these corners and get ahead of the game in a few ways:
- preflyers, announcements just about the idea, with little to nothing concrete
- decide on things without full involvement of the participates
- make promises you hope you can keep
- get investment capital or grants
- hype yourself or get others to hype you (viral marketting)
- website, internet advertising

But, back to work now...

trsruinerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 - 01:41 AM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

kurtmax_0 wrote:
The reason older games are chosen for competitions is they normally have the bugs worked out and the game balance is normally better...

i know that. I was just saying that the phrase "expose people to new games" should be more like "expose people to games they have not played" because the games are not "new"

also, i know the intensity of getting sponsor for lan parties and tournaments. I worked for the NEGL, the AGP, and helped with advertising MLGpro, before they went corporate. I believe people need to be exposed to other games, but it would make more sence to highlight the more popular games, not only on xbox, but on the PC and PS2 as well, that's just the best thing i have found.

I also think a good idea would be to get feedback at events. you would probably get more votes just asking people at the event rather than hoping they will log on, create an account, and then read your email, get back on the forum, and then vote. even if the event isnt for a few months, you probably arent going to have a tournament game that is that new. Just an idea.

It's the same in the PC end, I don't think TFC is a good choice, it's fun, i like the game, but alot of people don't know what that is. I believe CoD or CS, or something along those lines would draw a larger crowd, and then you can introduce them to other games that they may enjoy.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 - 01:57 AM

CS was done last year, three teams signed up - this was with intense advertising, I spearheaded the web pr for the tourney personally. Thus far I know of four different TFC teams signed up already.

I believe the problem comes down to time. I mean hell if they wanted a huge group of people to come, hold a Madden tourney. Its just to have a good game you need atleast five minute quarters, which equates to atleast thirty minutes a game. So if fifty people show up, and you can run five machines at once, that still comes down to roughly three hours for the first round, estimating out to about six hours for the tourney. Same can be applied to Battlefield x, Counterstrike, or even TFC. Granted there have been tourneys of all of these atleast once at Tigerlan, sans Madden, and always TFC brings the biggest crowd. And, ironically, even though it is a tournament, those players dont care if they win or lose, because they are just having alot of fun. Its not the best team tournament FPS, but then again nobody really wants to play Quake III Harvester.

Ill leave most of the other tourney stories to xero, since I wasnt at 1-3. But I will say one last thing, it seems like this year we might actually have a quality RTS tourney. I mean even when Warcraft 3 was played back at 5 there were only about four participants, and Doug schooled them all and walked off with both standees for the upcoming Frozen Throne expansion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 - 02:22 AM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Um... are there PC gamers who have not heard of TFC?!!!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic